Its is the second worst storm I endured since I moved to Texas, making it the second worst storm of my life. I had been praying, trying to center, and needing to be present. The storm hit my house exactly within the first five minutes of sitting down with someone for spiritual direction. The wind was rattling the windows and tossing bits of the back yard around. The whole house chilled. I considered ending our time together because I was able to give the moment only 99% of my attention. I was being tugged away by one haunting thought. Will the tree hold? Continue reading
- Five Things I Will Never Give Up for Lent.
- St. Benedict goes to Burning Man.
- Five Un-truths of Easter
- Actually, Yeah. Mary Did Know.
- Shouting at the Bishop: Why agreeing to disagree is not a Christian response to the culture wars.
- How to Kill a Moment of Grace with Two Quarters and a Pack of Gum.
- How to be a Valentine: A Note on Martyrdom.
- One More Wall of Angels: Lent and the Death of Fred Phelps
- This is How I Am Pro-Life. Now may I please have that phrase back?
- "How many hands does it take to wash two feet? All of ours": One of the defining moments of my life.
- Five Counterintuitive Things to do to Perfect Thanksgiving.
- The End of the World as We Know It and I Feel Fine: A minority report from one of the last living Christians in Austin…. or something like that.
- Being Moved: Why am I a Christian? The Gospel according to Doug.
- Being Moved: Religious freedom and the quest to be the Servant of All.
- Being Moved: praying our resentment instead of harboring it
- Being Moved: from busy-ness, to awareness, by love. Ash Wednesday
- An Untimely Eulogy for the Outpatient Monk’s Biggest Fan.
- The Discipline of Joy: Reasons to keep feasting when you just don’t feel like it.
Subscribe to Blog via Email