We live in a moment in history in which truth is only found in this fairly new thing we reinvented called a ‘fact.’ “This is a table,” we say. It is a fact that the thing I just set my cup on is a “table.” Ta-da! End of story… It is an idea that seems pretty hard to argue with until all of a sudden I take that same table apart and plan to build a flower bed out of it. Fairly quickly it becomes lumber. So it is now not a table after all. Er… right? That is the case until I decide without making any changes to the pile, to burn it in a fire. Without moving an inch, by mere planning in my head, it becomes fuel. This pile of wood is fuel for my fire, end of story. …Or perhpas this is where the importance of ‘story’ just begins. Continue reading
- Five Things I Will Never Give Up for Lent.
- St. Benedict goes to Burning Man.
- Five Un-truths of Easter
- Actually, Yeah. Mary Did Know.
- Shouting at the Bishop: Why agreeing to disagree is not a Christian response to the culture wars.
- How to Kill a Moment of Grace with Two Quarters and a Pack of Gum.
- How to be a Valentine: A Note on Martyrdom.
- One More Wall of Angels: Lent and the Death of Fred Phelps
- This is How I Am Pro-Life. Now may I please have that phrase back?
- "How many hands does it take to wash two feet? All of ours": One of the defining moments of my life.
- "Short Term 12," The grace you give may be your own.
- How to Change a Life With Two Shoes, a Good Story, and Some Gravity
- “Jesus’ Two Daughters” You are not an exception to the Love of God.
- To the Persecuted Church in America: A Biblical strategy for living in times like these.
- A Sermon at Burning Flipside on Pentecost Sunday, 2015, “Why Does God Want a Church at This Time and in This Place?”
- The End of the World as We Know It and I Feel Fine: A minority report from one of the last living Christians in Austin…. or something like that.
- Being Moved: Why am I a Christian? The Gospel according to Doug.
- Being Moved: Religious freedom and the quest to be the Servant of All.
Subscribe to Blog via Email