When I moved into this place its outside looked very much like my inside did. The branches of the tall trees drooped to the ground as if to hide the house everyone knew was there. The house kept dark. The yard looked very much like a bad case of male patterned baldness, only growing around the edges. The backyard was in no better shape. It was waist high in un-welcomed greenery and while I am not absolutely positive I think some of that greenery was, how shall I say, questionably legal leftovers from the previous tenants. Toward the south was a fairly ominous twisting of dead limbs that once was a tree and now became a kind of outdoor dandruff, flaking down little by little when provoked by even the smallest breeze. Yeah. My heart looked like this house. Things were growing where they shouldn’t and things refused to grow where they were needed. So when I started purging the untamed overgrowth, I became nervous I would never get the good stuff to live where I wanted it to. Continue reading
- St. Benedict goes to Burning Man.
- Five Things I Will Never Give Up for Lent.
- Five Un-truths of Easter
- 29 Days of Hope: Day 21, Actually, Yeah. Mary Did Know.
- How to Kill a Moment of Grace with Two Quarters and a Pack of Gum.
- Shouting at the Bishop: Why agreeing to disagree is not a Christian response to the culture wars.
- "How many hands does it take to wash two feet? All of ours": One of the defining moments of my life.
- How to be a Valentine: A Note on Martyrdom.
- This is How I Am Pro-Life. Now may I please have that phrase back?
- Eat at Joe's: A beautiful story of what happens when a band of misfits and atheists get their hands on the feast of St Joseph.
- Is This Seat Taken? My night as the welcomed stranger among the even stranger at a Passover Seder.
- It’s Not About the Chocolate: Grace and self improvement in the season of Lent.
- Why I Burn Art and Still Go to Church. “Faith For Reasons”
- Making Sense of It All. How Advent confronts us in the wake of tragedy.
- What are you waiting for? What Advent can do to fear at the end of the world.
- Holding Carlos’ Hand: How to let grace cross your threshold on world AIDS day.
- 5 Counterintuitive Things to do to Perfect Thanksgiving.