Years ago I got caught in a pretty debilitating depression. I let things snowball to a point I felt I had little or no refuge left. Every part of life looked bleak including my own bedroom. On weekends I would lie in bed all day and look at piles of laundry, fast food wrappers, stacks of unopened bills and just junk. Blech. It literally made it hard to get out of bed in the morning (or sometimes in the afternoon). One could sprain an ankle on the way to the bathroom. At one point it became difficult for me to imagine that the room would ever be clean. I would lie in bed and pray, “please, someone come and get this sadness out my house.” To my great surprise, one time, someone did. Continue reading
- St. Benedict goes to Burning Man.
- Five Things I Will Never Give Up for Lent.
- Five Un-truths of Easter
- 29 Days of Hope: Day 21, Actually, Yeah. Mary Did Know.
- How to Kill a Moment of Grace with Two Quarters and a Pack of Gum.
- Shouting at the Bishop: Why agreeing to disagree is not a Christian response to the culture wars.
- "How many hands does it take to wash two feet? All of ours": One of the defining moments of my life.
- How to be a Valentine: A Note on Martyrdom.
- This is How I Am Pro-Life. Now may I please have that phrase back?
- Eat at Joe's: A beautiful story of what happens when a band of misfits and atheists get their hands on the feast of St Joseph.
- Is This Seat Taken? My night as the welcomed stranger among the even stranger at a Passover Seder.
- It’s Not About the Chocolate: Grace and self improvement in the season of Lent.
- Why I Burn Art and Still Go to Church. “Faith For Reasons”
- Making Sense of It All. How Advent confronts us in the wake of tragedy.
- What are you waiting for? What Advent can do to fear at the end of the world.
- Holding Carlos’ Hand: How to let grace cross your threshold on world AIDS day.
- 5 Counterintuitive Things to do to Perfect Thanksgiving.