- Five Things I Will Never Give Up for Lent.
- St. Benedict goes to Burning Man.
- Five Un-truths of Easter
- Actually, Yeah. Mary Did Know.
- Shouting at the Bishop: Why agreeing to disagree is not a Christian response to the culture wars.
- How to Kill a Moment of Grace with Two Quarters and a Pack of Gum.
- How to be a Valentine: A Note on Martyrdom.
- One More Wall of Angels: Lent and the Death of Fred Phelps
- This is How I Am Pro-Life. Now may I please have that phrase back?
- "How many hands does it take to wash two feet? All of ours": One of the defining moments of my life.
- Five Counterintuitive Things to do to Perfect Thanksgiving.
- The End of the World as We Know It and I Feel Fine: A minority report from one of the last living Christians in Austin…. or something like that.
- Being Moved: Why am I a Christian? The Gospel according to Doug.
- Being Moved: Religious freedom and the quest to be the Servant of All.
- Being Moved: praying our resentment instead of harboring it
- Being Moved: from busy-ness, to awareness, by love. Ash Wednesday
- An Untimely Eulogy for the Outpatient Monk’s Biggest Fan.
- The Discipline of Joy: Reasons to keep feasting when you just don’t feel like it.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Tag Archives: good friday
The Gospel of Mark is my favorite. I especifically love the eighth chapter. It is hysterical. I still find myself being caught off guard and LOL-ing sometimes.
The disciples are dolts. They have the hardest time learning the most obvious lessons. Jesus goes and feeds several thousand, gets on a boat with them, and suddenly they are afraid Jesus will be mad because the didn’t pack a lunch. Zheesh. In that same chapter Jesus heals this man in a most unusual way and he has to do it twice. Either Jesus is losing his touch or Mark is writing to try to be be obvious: We don’t see clearly yet. The first time Jesus touches the blind man he sees part way. ” I see people, like trees walking around.” I get that. That makes sense to me. If he is still half blind, then he is not wrong. But there is more to be seen and it will be a shocker. So don’t stop now…