I am almost never disappointed by a ride on the bus in Austin. To try to explain why is as hard as to try to explain what is amazing at Burning Man or Burning Flipside. There are too many un-photographable moments and too many unrealistic stories you have to experience to make you a believer. But this particular story has bugged me for days, and keeps changing the way I see relationships. Now to be fair, I was already cranky. I spent one and a half hours each way on the bus for an errand that should have taken a half hour and took three. Even so, this seemingly insignificant moment was heartbreaking. It was kindness turned against itself. It was a moment turned against grace. And it was executed with two quarters and a pack of Big Red gum. Continue reading
- St. Benedict goes to Burning Man.
- Five Things I Will Never Give Up for Lent.
- Five Un-truths of Easter
- 29 Days of Hope: Day 21, Actually, Yeah. Mary Did Know.
- How to Kill a Moment of Grace with Two Quarters and a Pack of Gum.
- Shouting at the Bishop: Why agreeing to disagree is not a Christian response to the culture wars.
- "How many hands does it take to wash two feet? All of ours": One of the defining moments of my life.
- How to be a Valentine: A Note on Martyrdom.
- This is How I Am Pro-Life. Now may I please have that phrase back?
- Eat at Joe's: A beautiful story of what happens when a band of misfits and atheists get their hands on the feast of St Joseph.
- Is This Seat Taken? My night as the welcomed stranger among the even stranger at a Passover Seder.
- It’s Not About the Chocolate: Grace and self improvement in the season of Lent.
- Why I Burn Art and Still Go to Church. “Faith For Reasons”
- Making Sense of It All. How Advent confronts us in the wake of tragedy.
- What are you waiting for? What Advent can do to fear at the end of the world.
- Holding Carlos’ Hand: How to let grace cross your threshold on world AIDS day.
- 5 Counterintuitive Things to do to Perfect Thanksgiving.